Forums » Off-Topic Discussions

Get your geek on

• 8 posts
    December 5, 2017 2:15 PM PST

What do you go geeky for? Which cult film, tv series or comic book or character do you love beyond all reason? Perhaps you're a fan fiction writer or a cosplayer.

I have a long shameless love for Doctor Who and look forward to seeing the first female Doctor! I love the Penguin and the Riddler in Gotham and the Daredevil tv adaption is fucking awesome.

Im a Sense8 fan (but not seen the 2nd series yet so no spoilers please!). I've seen a few series of Orphan Black as well but still working my way thru that too.

In the past few years I've also got into yuri anime, which is girl on girl romance usually with magic powers or dragons thrown in for good measure.

I like Star Wars but thought Ahsoka Tano's big moment in Rebels last year was better than TFA. I reluctantly watched Star Trek Discovery and found it won me over.

Although I love aspects of ST, SW and DW as well, they all have become big lumbering beasts of mythology and I find watching newer smaller shows much more rewarding these days.

What about you? What's your idea of geek heaven?

• December 5, 2017 3:12 PM PST

I'm a sucker for The X-Files ever since the beginning and even though the last few seasons weren't that great I'm quite excited to see Mulder and Scully return early next year.

I also go a bit overboard when talking about my favorite video game series which is The Legend of Zelda. Not many people know this but the only real piece of fan-fiction I ever wrote was related to it. I believe I lost that writing when my computer fried a few years ago but, honestly, I'm not sure.

• 36 posts
    December 5, 2017 4:47 PM PST
    I geek out over the final fantasy video game series. I also love the tv series lie to me and the mentalist. Super hero stuff is good too. Liked Netflix luke cage
    • 8 posts
    December 6, 2017 1:22 AM PST

The world wouldn't be the same without Mulder and Scully! Not heard of Zelda fanfiction b4 but Im sure theres a forum on it somewhere out there lol.

I have seen a few episodes of Lie To Me and am def tempted to watch more. I've heard Luke Cage is good but I've not seen it.

• 36 posts
    December 6, 2017 1:53 AM PST
    pro tip, only watch the first season of lie to me. The following two seasons get progressively worse
    • 8 posts
    December 7, 2017 9:10 AM PST

Thanks for the heads up on Lie To Me! Perhaps I'll watch it over Xmas.

• 36 posts
    December 7, 2017 9:28 AM PST
    Glad to help :) I love the new tomb raider video games and also Horizon Zero Dawn is sooooo goooooĆ²d
  • December 16, 2017 11:37 AM PST

I've yet to play Horizon. The new Tomb Raider is a lot like Uncharted and whilst I appreciate Uncharted I wish the new Lara Croft series had more actual... tomb raiding. The second game was more entertaining to me than the first but I can't help but think that the overall writing was abysmal. Not a fan of that all.

• December 19, 2017 8:03 PM PST

I'm super into the X-Men, femdom hypnosis, and monster-girls, and like that's it.

• 44 posts
    December 20, 2017 2:34 AM PST
    Considering comics my favorite has to be Magneto and of course many of the villainesses/heroines who possess magical powers. But I'm not anymore geeky about it, in teens I was a subscriber.
    Games that combine RPG elements and character development, Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines and Deus Ex are still able to get me immersed in gaming. But pinball machines like Lady Death, Scared Stiff, The Machine: Bride of Bin-Bot and few others are something I really enjoy. When I have more coins will purchase one. The art, details, sounds...just love them.
  • December 20, 2017 4:40 AM PST

Looking at my profile pic, you can tell I have a big thing for Doctor Who, from the old, pre-Chris Ecclestone incarnations right up to the present and, yes I anticipate a female doctor with great excitement. 

Yet for me the thing that really gets my geek antenna quivering is whenever I catch a rerun of the ever excellent Babylon 5. From its inception it held so many great ideas and and richly imagined worlds and characters. In this current climate of "fake news" and challenges to the legitimacy of the mainstream media reporting of events, one of the central threads of the series, the story of the weak and arrogant President Clark and his Ministry of Truth's systematic destruction of democracy and any credible opposition in the judiciary and military is so very relevant.

• 8 posts
    January 1, 2018 9:55 AM PST

Babylon 5... *geek girl sigh*

• February 9, 2018 9:53 AM PST

I'm enjoying the new X-Files season more than I thought I would. Not enjoying having just learned I'm going to have to wait three weeks for the next episode. surprised

• 4 posts
    February 28, 2018 4:40 PM PST
    I don't even know where to start..... In no particular order;

Doctor Who
    Firefly
    Buffy
    Angel
    Arrow
    Sherlock
    The Flash
    Futurama ( endless quotes)
    Rick and Morty
    Altered Carbon
    ANIME, which a section all on it's own.
    Star Wars duh!
    The list goes on and on

Red Rising series
    Harry Potter
    Tolkein
    CS Lewis

Marvel, DC, Dark horse

It's endless. You really have NO idea. Lol This rabbit hole goes on forever.
    • 19 posts
    March 5, 2018 2:51 PM PST

I'm not real big on series besides GOT but I do LOVE movies. The final girl, Siren, the death note to name a few!

This post was edited by Mistress Candice at March 5, 2018 2:52 PM PST
    • 1 posts
    March 5, 2018 3:16 PM PST

Star Wars is my choice for movies, I Zombie for TV, and the Castlevania series for video games.

• 4 posts
    March 7, 2018 3:15 PM PST
    Mistress Candice, I've yet to see Siren. It's fallen into the movie limbo where I consider watching it from time to time but fail to take the actual plunge. Ha! I suppose I'll have to take the plunge now per your post. The power of suggestion, right?

Grimlock, iZombie is an all-time favorite. Witty and irreverent. You have fine taste.
    • 19 posts
    March 9, 2018 11:06 AM PST

I like Izombie too. That was a good series. I hear it's coming back. I don't usually watch more than 1 or 2 seasons of any show except for GOT, so I wont see the new season but it was good.

• 10 posts
    March 9, 2018 4:56 PM PST
    Mistress Candice said:

I like Izombie too. That was a good series. I hear it's coming back. I don't usually watch more than 1 or 2 seasons of any show except for GOT, so I wont see the new season but it was good.

iZombie Season 4 started 2 weeks ago. Not as good as the first two seasons, but still enjoyable.

I do not understand the popularity of Game of Thrones. The show seemed like morons running in circles. I quit sometime in the 3rd season.

• 12 posts
    April 28, 2018 2:02 PM PDT

I love the x-files and to be honest got a gillian anderson crush. CW shows such as the flash, arrow, legends of tomorrow, izombie and supergirl I love to watch. Anything dealing with comic books I'll geek over. Same goes for star wars, star trek and back to the future trilogy. I enjoy some anime as well and latest series I've been watching is overlord. Horror is a genre I always enjoy watching. I do miss firefly which to me was a great show just got ended too early. I also enjoy playing video games, nothing better than to play your favorite one to help some with decompressing from the day.

This post was edited by Kelly at April 28, 2018 3:15 PM PDT